Many culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) businesses and communities are unable to reduce their energy costs as they do not have the time, resources or information to identify energy saving opportunities in their workplace. Language can also be a significant barrier.
Evidence shows that most businesses can reduce energy consumption by 20% through equipment maintenance and upgrades, smarter building systems and materials and energy-efficient technology.1
As part of the Energy Efficiency Information Grants program, some organisations have developed information specifically for CALD businesses. By using this information CALD businesses will be able make informed decisions about energy efficiency and reduce their operating costs.
The Community Migrant Resource Centre (CMRC) has developed the 3E – Enable Energy Efficiency Project website (3E website). The 3E website hosts energy efficiency information in a variety of languages (Arabic, Cantonese, Greek, Italian, Mandarin, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese) including case studies for CALD organisations, including:
- Johnny’s Café
- Nakhle Shirtmakers.
See the case studies on the 3E website.
Positive Charge is a website developed by the Moreland Energy Foundation Limited (MEFL). To illustrate how CALD businesses have saved money by becoming more energy efficient, MEFL have developed a range of case studies for:
- the scientific and technical sector
- the retail, accommodation and food sector
- the manufacturing sector.
See the case studies from the MEFL website.
CMRC and MEFL have also developed tools and guidance material for CALD businesses so that they can make informed decisions about energy efficiency and reduce operational costs.
- Fact sheets – Include advice on energy efficiency lighting, hot water systems, refrigeration, office equipment and air compressors.
- Energy efficiency videos – Cover the benefits of installing energy efficient hot water systems and computers.
- Business advice videos – Provide advice on refrigeration, saving power, heating and cooling, lighting, and air compressors.
- MEFL energy saving tips – Lists easy to understand advice for retail outlets, cafés, restaurants, hotels and motels, manufactures and offices.