In a high volume low margin business like meat processing, keeping energy costs under control has been essential to long-term sustainability. The industry’s approach to energy consumption will be essential to maintaining a competitive advantage in future years.
The Australian Meat Industry Council (AMIC) has developed a website providing businesses in the meat industry with tools and guidance material to better identify, manage and reduce their energy costs.
The website includes case studies on:
- energy efficient gains with refrigeration
- energy efficient steam generation
- trigeneration technology at abattoirs
- methane capture and reuse at abattoirs
- heat recovery from refrigeration at abattoirs.
The AMIC website also includes other resources to help you improve your energy efficiency:
- EEIG Information toolkit – Comprising an energy calculator, energy consumption guide, energy management plan, literature reviews.
- Fact sheets – Cover topics ranging from variable head pressure control and screw compressor wear, to heat recovery from refrigeration systems to heat pump water heaters
- The AMIC Summary Report (Opens in a new window PDF 674 KB) – Provides a summary of energy efficiency opportunities for NSW and QLD Domestic Processors.
- Webinars – On steam generation and boilers, compressed air management, total plant energy management, lighting efficiencies and refrigeration savings
See the AMIC website for more information on energy efficiency in the meat industry.
Also see the Food and beverage manufacturing page on the EEX website for more energy efficiency opportunities, case studies and resources.