In a high volume low margin business like meat processing, keeping energy costs under control has been essential to long-term sustainability. The industry’s approach to energy consumption will be essential to maintaining a competitive advantage in future years.
The Australian Meat Industry Council (AMIC) has developed a website providing businesses in the meat industry with tools and guidance material to better identify, manage and reduce their energy costs.
The website includes case studies on:
- energy efficient gains with refrigeration
- energy efficient steam generation
- trigeneration technology at abattoirs
- methane capture and reuse at abattoirs
- heat recovery from refrigeration at abattoirs.
The AMIC website also includes other resources to help you improve your energy efficiency:
- EEIG Information toolkit – Comprising an energy calculator, energy consumption guide, energy management plan, literature reviews.
- Fact sheets – Cover topics ranging from variable head pressure control and screw compressor wear, to heat recovery from refrigeration systems to heat pump water heaters
- The AMIC Summary Report (Opens in a new window PDF 674 KB) – Provides a summary of energy efficiency opportunities for NSW and QLD Domestic Processors.
- Webinars – On steam generation and boilers, compressed air management, total plant energy management, lighting efficiencies and refrigeration savings
See the AMIC website for more information on energy efficiency in the meat industry.